Friday, August 13, 2010

Sweet Sorrow (Aug 1-4)

And like that (I'm snapping my fingers), 8 weeks has gone by. The Crown team (and Karissa) booked their flights for the day before mine, leaving me 24 short hours to figure out how to say goodbye to a city that I've come to love. Before the Crown Team left, we found time to go out to authentic German dinner before heading over to the Brandenburg Gate for great Gelatto, group pictures, and a ride on the fun touristy bicycle for 8. (Note here- I definitely almost fell off this thing. Those guys go fast!)

We got to say goodbye to the Gnadenhaus, our brief but wonderful home, at 4.15 AM when the team had to head to the airport. Then again 3 hours later as my luggage made its way out with Katie's and Karissa's. Dropping Karissa off at the airport came next. This was a tough one- Karissa was a big part of my internship experience. Then a day of adventuring with Katie and Sarah before dinner at an American-style diner (that was a funny experience), and packing at the Careys' in anticipation of my 7.15 flight the next morning.

It was almost fun to pack up. I carefully set my Polish pottery amidst paper wrapping and soft clothes, remembering the day that Shelly and Sarah took Karissa, her friend Kat, and me to Poland for the day. I bagged up the Chocomel (a Dutch treat we grew up with) that I'd bought for my brothers, musing about the injustice that I'd found it only days before my departure. I folded my "Germany clothes", hoping that I'll get to go shopping with Karissa sometime soon in the States and remembering all the "Culture Days" well spent with her.

And then, the next morning, I left. It was hard to believe that my surroundings could change so drastically in 24 hours- from the energy and life of Berlin Mitte to my little house on Tolowa Trail in Lima, OH. But change they did, and I'm adapting slowly. This was one of the most powerful summers that I think I've had. It is hard to be back, but I'm excited at the ways that God will continue to use the experience and the ways I've grown this school year. Now it's only a few short weeks and off to Wheaton for a new house, homework, and a lot of friends I haven't seen in far too long.

And really, for Berlin and Europe as a whole, goodbye is best said in the immortal words of the Terminator.

"I'll be back."

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment